ISEG - Gestão
Eduardo Barbosa do Couto
|Objectives:||This course is designed to introduce students to the principles and concepts of financial statement analysis.
The main objectives of the course are to:
* Study principles and techniques of financial analysis
* Understand how the financial policy of a corporation affects its financial performance
* Analyze and discuss practical cases using financial analysis principles and techniques.
The specific objectives are to:
* Discuss the various financial statements and the links between them (Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Cash Flow Statement).
* Analyze the financial aspects of a firm: Profitability; Risk and Financial Equilibrium.
* Introduce the basics of Pricing Financial assets.
|Contents:||1. The financial statements and concepts
2. Financial analysis techniques
3. Evaluating performance with financial ratios
4. Financial equilibrium analysis
5. Break-even and Leverage Analysis
6. Cash-flow analysis
7. Introduction to portfolio theory
8. The capital asset pricing model and APT
9. Comparative financial analysis between two Portuguese Sports Associations
|Evaluation:||The unit will be taught using a combination of theoretical and practical lectures. Students will be encouraged to actively participate in the realization of class exercises and problems. Continuous assessment in class will have a weight of 40% in the final student´ s classification, including midterm exams (20%) and group work (20%). The end-semester exam will account for 60% of the course grade and required a minimum score of 8 points out of 20. If the student´s classification is higher than 17 points, an oral exam is required.|
|Bibliography:||* Neves, J. (2000) Análise Financeira I: Técnicas Fundamentais, 12ª Edição, Texto Editora, Lisboa
* Damodaran, A. (2001) Corporate Finance: Theory and Practice, 2ª Edição, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
* Brealey, R. & Myers, S. (2003) Principles of Corporate Finance, 7ª Edição, McGraw Hill
* Mayes, T. & Shank, T. (1996), Financial Analysis with Microsoft Excel, 1ª Edição, The Dresden Press.
* Directrizes Contabilísticas Nacionais
|Program in pdf:||